Welcome to Project Paratha

This blog will chronicle our one year adventure to eat one Indian (or Indian inspired) meal or snack every day.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A moment of haiku

I had a haiku moment last week.  Here is the poem that resulted:

An evening cloudburst!
That redtail is flying fast
Toward a patch of blue

Any literary types out there feel free to comment...gently.

I had another moment this morning.  I wanted coconut chutney, but really wanted something quick to make.  Thinking on my feet, as I do, I heated a tablespoon of oil in a saute pan and toasted a teaspoon or so of mustard seeds, then I threw in a half cup (or a little more) of shredded dried coconut and a quarter cup of soy flour.  Toasted that up and put it in a bowl.  chopped up one of my smokin' hot serranos, and mixed that in to the coconut with a bit of salt and a pinch of hing (asafetida).  Stirred in some yoghurt and enough water to make a pourable consistency.  Can I make a haiku out of that?  Let's see...


Coconut chutney
Do you think you can make it
In just three minutes?

OK, not bad.

I ate it with leftover quick oat idli.  What a good breakfast!
No pictures with this post.  Just use your inner eye to imagine the hawk flapping, flapping in the suddenly chilly rain, flying west to what it hopes is a dry warm tree.
Smell the toasted coconut, feel the heat of the chilis, hear the popping of the mustard seeds in the hot oil.  Taste the smooth yoghurt.

2 comments:

  1. You're funny :) I love reading this post.If you won't mind I'd love to guide foodista readers to your site.Just add your choice of Foodista widget at the end of this blog post and it's good to go.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have discovered that the second poem I wrote in this post is more correctly referred to as a senryu. A senryu is like a haiku, but whereas as haiku concerns themes connected with nature, senryu concerns itself with human events.

    ReplyDelete